Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Learning to Knit: Day Twenty

Well it seems I was reading the chart wrong. I don't know if I can blame the book or not yet. Let me explain. Unlike the previous project the Maple Leaf square is not symmetrical. Therefore even though it was charted and I used the chart to keep track the chart was not vitally important and I could tell by reading my knitting when I made a mistake. I didn't need to read my knitting and compare it to the chart to see if I had made a mistake. Therefore I made a huge error in chart reading.

Today I went back to my square I put down in despair yesterday and tried to figure out why it looked like a dog's breakfast. Then it just logically occurred to me that if I am knitting this way I need to read the chart that way but if I am knitting that way I need to read the chart this way. In other words on odd rows you read the chart from right to left and on even rows you read the chart from left to right.

Yeah that's a pretty big mistake.

I haven't been able to find a place in the book where she actually tells you that though so I'm not sure if it is a flaw in the book or if I just missed it. Pretty huge flaw if it isn't in the book. I'm pretty sure it must be in the book because I haven't seen this complaint in the Ravelry group. But this could be one of those things other knitters overlook because its second nature.

For now I am going to tink all the way back to row 3 (weep) and stop looking. I'm sure its there and I just can't see it through my tears.

1 comment:

T. Patrick Rooney said...

Oh honey I am so sorry... I love you please do not despair you will get it.