Sunday, December 25, 2011

Learning to Knit: Day Eleven

I had a really difficult time with my first cable pattern. Making the cables themselves is easy (on a loom). But I just could not wrap my head around how the rows were laid out. You see, I was supposed to be doing a left cable but from where the working yarn was located the logical place for the cable to lay was to the right. I assumed I skipped a row and tore everything apart several times. Didn't help. I kept making the same mistake. No matter how carefully (I thought) I kept track of my rows. It wasn't until I finally decided to just give up and make the glove the best I could and see how it looked that I discovered my mistake.

To finish the glove you need to make increases. When I went back to the general instructions portion of the book I discovered that I am supposed to work clockwise EXCEPT for casting on. When I cast on I am supposed to go counter clockwise. So now I know why everything was going so wrong. I am debating ripping it all apart again. I am three rows from finishing. I probably will do it right but for now I am going to go to sleep and leave it. Its been quite frustrating but ultimately will be worth it. I love the colour and feel of this yarn and its a cool little project for my first cables.

Merry Christmas everyone. I love you and wish you all the best. I miss you Grandma.

No comments: