Thursday, December 15, 2011

Learning to Knit: Day One

The scene:
Knitting the first sampler from the book Fearless Knitting Workbook while watching Survivor: Gabon on my laptop.


First thoughts: I don't remember knitting needles being this long and I only ever knitted once as a kid so you would think I would remember them being bigger.
Second thought:
I found out I don't have to make a ball of yarn so I am already ahead of schedule. Huzzah! Now to sit down and begin.



First Project Chapter 2.1: Rib Sample:
Due to earlier confusion about US vs English needle sizes I asked Mom for the wrong needles (or she grabbed the wrong ones) because I was thinking US sizes and she assumed English. I thought that one of the sets she lent me (5mm) could be used for the first project but it turns out I was wrong yet again. I haven't even started and already knitting is too hard. I can't even get the materials list right. Well it doesn't matter. I am here, I have youtube up and I am ready to knit so I'm just going to do it even though I am supposed to use smaller needles. Apparently ribs are knitted smaller because they are used to fit snug for wrist and waist bands This is fine but I want to knit and all I have are 5mm so the book is just going to have to suck it up.

Learned the long tail cast on and using the tail to tell wrong side of knitted fabric from right side (depending on pattern)

The cast on was my downfall when Grandma tried to teach me. As I was trying to figure it out from the book I remember she finally gave up and cast on for me. Poor Grandma. I hope you are proud of me now. The book made sense just like Grandma but I still couldn't quite get it and even after watching a video on youtube 10 freaking times I almost gave up. But 11 was the magic number and I finally cast on. Gram, its only been what? 30 years? But I finally did it! I know you are proud of me.

Aw man...

Tear break.

Lately everything seems to remind me of Grandma and makes me cry so I should have known this would make me emotional but wow that is a bit much. I should have guessed that if Vegetable Thins can make me break down in the grocery store and Tetley can make me weep in my kitchen casting on would bring out a shower. Ok on with the rest of the first freaking row.

An hour in and I think I have worked out the purl stitch but I had to unravel the first row. I screwed up near the front somewhere and the pattern isn't working right I'm supposed to k1 p1 10 times but the purls are on the odd stitches for some reason.

Gah! Screwed up unraveling the one row and have to cast on again.

I don't know why I thought I could watch Survivor my first night. I'm glad I didn't put on a movie. I'd be really pissed if I was missing my movie and trying to do this. Not that I'm not pissed at how long this is taking me to get these stitches because I am . I'm just not really pissed. I mean come on these two stitches are supposed to be the simplest and this combination the foundation. Man I am frustrated.

I can tell knitting is one of those things that once you get it it just flows but getting it is going to be a bitch. Simple isn't easy. Don't let anyone tell you different. Well you can let them but be sure to call them a big fat dirty stinkin liar. In your head if they are bigger than you and prone to violence or drama.

One thing I did do right was make my tail long enough for the long tail cast on. From the book I would have been to short but the video stressed how you want it to be super long so I just went all out ridiculous (I thought) and wound up with very little left over after all the stitches were on. I am a total penny pincher when it comes to craft materials. Scrooge has nothing on me when it comes to this stuff. I can see I am going to have to watch this tendency.

Geeze what the hell am I doing wrong now?

My second cast on the yarn looks like its unraveling on the bottom. The plys look like they are coming apart. Now I didn't buy expensive yarn but I didn't cheap out either so I just don't get this new wrinkle.

Wow. I totally got in the zone there casting on. Lost track and just kept going and cast on a bazillion. Tail much longer this time. I hate that. My generosity better be rewarded later.

Crap. I finally seem to be getting it and have successfully knitted and purled almost a first repeat thing only to discover I am using the damn tail not the working yarn. Weeping again as I try to undo without having to cast on again.

Whew. I managed to unknit without having to recast. First marker on and I double checked I am definitely using the working yarn this time.

OK WTF because I don't even know how to describe what went wrong this time. Here is a picture. I am off to bed and I will try this again tomorrow.


Well we all knew I was going to come back. No way I can sleep with something like this hanging over my head.

Finally. I have finished the first row. Also refered to as the set up row. Or (in my head) the last thing I will ever knit in my entire life. Forgot to place the last stitch marker but luckily I only had to unknit 4 stitches.

I had a really hard time keeping the yarn on my fingers properly. Like I wasn't having enough trouble with that bitch purl. The yarn has to keep slipping around. Plus all the stitches kept getting all twisted on the needle and I had to straighten them out constantly.

You know I honestly thought this was going to be fun.

Final thoughts:
  • Grandma had every right to let me quit so we could enjoy our vacation together. If I remember correctly she taught me cross stitching instead that summer. Crochet was never mentioned even though she was working on a large afghan
  • Looms are more fun and easier to learn. Needles better be helluva more versatile or there is no way Isabelle's Debbie Bliss Sweater is getting knitted. By me.
  • Purling is a bitch.

Two hours of effort created this:

I'm so proud.





Not. You know I could have made an entire hat on a loom in two hours.

2 comments:

T. Patrick Rooney said...

That is so funny, I am sorry you got so frustrated I am sure you will get better at it, you are a genius with crafting and I believe in you from the bottom of my heart.

Anonymous said...

You are way too cool you know that?! I felt your pain all the way through your post I did all those things and got yarn burn and had a jerk (my mom) trying to teach me. I love them knitting loom and they were way better.
I have many loom knitting books if you ever want to make something other than a hat and I have my own sock patterns on my own blog.