Thursday, January 10, 2013

Week Two: Blocks B1 and B2

Bad design.
 Last night I was helping my niece with a polar fleece project and we managed to break a rotary cutter. The handle snapped while Aubs was cutting. Looking over the cutter I am going to blame shoddy design. I was preferring this cutter (it came as part of a mat/cutter kit I was given as a gift) because of how the action for engaging the blade worked I felt it was safer around the baby. But this design feature is exactly why it broke. Just to weak for something that is going to have that much pressure on it all the time. I tried to look it up to find the name but it seems it has been discontinued. I did find a picture so beware if you see this blade on sale no matter how cheap don't buy it.

 I should add my other cutter is also from Fiskars. I have had it for 15 years and love it.

B2 Sweet Tater Pie
Anyway today I did some prep work on blocks B1 and B2. I cut out all the fabrics, basted and clipped B1, and managed to finish B2. This is the first time I have done applique in a really long time and I was doing the stitch backwards for the first third or so. I may take this part out and restitch it because those stitches really bother me but right now I am super thrilled with this block. Those stitches are whack, the line is a little wonky in a couple places, and I didn't quite match up the seams BUT I am still thrilled. Love love love this little block. I made two over sized pinwheel blocks and cut a circle from one and appliqued it to the other rotating the colours to contrast as per the block design. I will square it up and cut out the circle from the bottom pinwheel tomorrow. I would not wish quilting over that seam mountain on my worst enemy

B1 is prepped and ready to be stitched. I have never done reverse applique. Wish me luck.

I may not get to these tomorrow because my niece and I have plans to get together and work on her project again but we'll see.




7, 0, 0, 104

No comments: